Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gas Prices
Well, its happened. Went out early this morning to see that gas prices have gone above 1$/L. Thats insane. I just bought my first car a year ago. Over the 15 years before that gas prices increased by 30-35 cents a litre. Now that i finally have wheels, its gone up 30 cents/litre in 12 months...god damn...everyones sign is either turned off or at 99.9 because it cannot acomadate for the 1. Bastards.

Im done
]V[ANTIS Wrote:Well, its happened. Went out early this morning to see that gas prices have gone above 1$/L. Thats insane. I just bought my first car a year ago. Over the 15 years before that gas prices increased by 30-35 cents a litre. Now that i finally have wheels, its gone up 30 cents/litre in 12 months...god damn...everyones sign is either turned off or at 99.9 because it cannot acomadate for the 1. Bastards.

Im done

when the price per litre has gone off the deep end of the FM radio dial, it's not looking too good.

last night price in vancouver... 110.5/l

make sure to get your Petropoints kids!!!
It was 104.4 here in London today..I cant believe how bad its getting, I think Im going to consider a more efficient vehicle next time around. Maybe a VW diesel or a hybrid of some sort, this is getting brutal!!

:x :censored
Imagine a world before the "beginning was the word.”
it i now just getting over a dollar? damn you are lucky. it has been as high as $1.07 here in NB.. and that is as recently as thrusday.
a week ago it was 89.9 in Brantford for 1 day, its about 95 cents right now
]V[ANTIS Wrote:Well, its happened. Went out early this morning to see that gas prices have gone above 1$/L. Thats insane. I just bought my first car a year ago. Over the 15 years before that gas prices increased by 30-35 cents a litre. Im done

Lets face it, much of the easy oil to access on the planet has been burned. What's left is tough and expenisve to get at ie - the Alberta Oils Sands. As of 2010 it will be the largest reserve in the world. Tough to extract though.

The world will pump less oil in the future, and it will be more expensive.

So as long as the middle east is pumpin out oil, oil will still be undervalued, even at prices which— compared to a few years ago— seem high.

Just wait until the Asian economy outpaces its present growth.

But dont worry alternatives are coming down the pipe. Finally!
Close to three fucking bones in kansas. Thank god my protege 5 gets 35 mpg, but man, I'm telling you, it's still bad. Riding my bike to work for the time being.

Mick
I spent 2.67 a gallon for 92 and Atlanta this AM and is one of the cheapest in the US. I remember when I first got my licence at gas was 0.89 per gallon.
Gas went over a dollar this morning in the Oakville area. 102.1 this morning. First time I've seen over a dollar in my area.
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.canoe.ca/NewsStand/Columnists/Calgary/Ezra_Levant/2005/08/15/1173619.html">http://www.canoe.ca/NewsStand/Columnist ... 73619.html</a><!-- m -->

Food for thought, or another crazy Albertan? Kidding, kidding.

Cheers

Pat
hotmetal401 Wrote:http://www.canoe.ca/NewsStand/Columnists...73619.html

Food for thought, or another crazy Albertan? Kidding, kidding.

Cheers

Pat

Great column. Thanks for the post.
I don't think Levant is making much sense, honestly. If you adjust for inflation, gas costs haven't changed much. He points this out, and then contradicts himself by complaining about rising taxes. Huh?

One thing that has changed, recently, is that people are driving less efficient vehicles. Sure, engines may be more efficient, but 20 years ago, large numbers of consumers were driving cars instead of mall assault vehicles and minivans. So although the cost of a litre of gas may be more or less static against inflation, I wouldn't be surprised if the life-cycle fuel cost is higher. (Meanwhile, in Europe, where gas has always been more expensive, people have long since adjusted by driving smaller cars....)

The thing the inflation argument misses is that gas prices have spiked rapidly upward over the past couple of years. Gas prices actually would have declined, when adjusted for inflation, were it not for the recent spike. And consumer habits, such as mall assault vehicle ownership, are still based on cheap gas.

Blame the spike on what you will - peak oil, turmoil in the middle east, Stephen Harper's cute little cowboy outfit - but Levant is wrong to blame it on taxes or on Kyoto. The spike reflects rising crude costs, plain and simple. And it's the spike that causes the pain in yer wallet.
skippy the wonder dog Wrote:I don't think Levant is making much sense, honestly. If you adjust for inflation, gas costs haven't changed much. He points this out, and then contradicts himself by complaining about rising taxes. Huh?

One thing that has changed, recently, is that people are driving less efficient vehicles. Sure, engines may be more efficient, but 20 years ago, large numbers of consumers were driving cars instead of mall assault vehicles and minivans. So although the cost of a litre of gas may be more or less static against inflation, I wouldn't be surprised if the life-cycle fuel cost is higher. (Meanwhile, in Europe, where gas has always been more expensive, people have long since adjusted by driving smaller cars....)

The thing the inflation argument misses is that gas prices have spiked rapidly upward over the past couple of years. Gas prices actually would have declined, when adjusted for inflation, were it not for the recent spike. And consumer habits, such as mall assault vehicle ownership, are still based on cheap gas.

Blame the spike on what you will - peak oil, turmoil in the middle east, Stephen Harper's cute little cowboy outfit - but Levant is wrong to blame it on taxes or on Kyoto. The spike reflects rising crude costs, plain and simple. And it's the spike that causes the pain in yer wallet.

Uh, he's saying that:

a) real prices are below their high points of 25 years ago
b) the gov't is taking more than ever before

So before politicians want to play the role of superhero against the villian oil companies, perhaps its time that more of us take notice that the gov't is actually making more off of gas than ever before.
Well, thanks for deciphering levant-speak. What with the Kyoto stuff, and the suggestion that the whole thing is just another case of picking on Alberta, I was finding his argument pretty hard to follow.
Well, since the first line is "Don't believe what the Alberta-bashers tell you", I think the overall arching theme is that of "waaaaaaaaaaa, western alienation, waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa", but the gov't taxes on fuel was a bit of an eye-opener for me and it was the part I found interesting.