Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pearl Jam 2018
sean.bonner Wrote:Man, there's a lot of hate for Lightning Bolt out there.

I think its a great.

Let That Record Play!

I love that album. Getaway, Mind Your Manners, Infallible, Pendulum, Swallowed Whole, Yellow Moon...that's good stuff. The title track is pretty great as well.
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A7qcpRlQi3U">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A7qcpRlQi3U</a><!-- m -->
direwolf74 Wrote:

I think its a great.

Let That Record Play!

I love that album. Getaway, Mind Your Manners, Infallible, Pendulum, Swallowed Whole, Yellow Moon...that's good stuff. The title track is pretty great as well.

It's so good. MFS is awful (well, the music's great, the lyrics are...not great), but pretty much everything else is a crusher. Heck, I love Sirens.
here's my unpopular pearl jam opinion. the wavey / vibrato sound that Ed puts in his voice completely ruins their music for me.

is anyone else annoyed by it?
mark Wrote:here's my unpopular pearl jam opinion. the wavey / vibrato sound that Ed puts in his voice completely ruins their music for me.

I've heard non-Hip fans say the same thing about Gord Downie's vibrato, and that his voice is the main reason they don't like the Hip.

As for Eddie, I love his voice. Always have.
direwolf74 Wrote:
mark Wrote:here's my unpopular pearl jam opinion. the wavey / vibrato sound that Ed puts in his voice completely ruins their music for me.

I've heard non-Hip fans say the same thing about Gord Downie's vibrato, and that his voice is the main reason they don't like the Hip.

I don't hear it as much in Gord's voice as I do in Eddie's. I get that he is in his 50s now and he simply isn't going to sound like he used to. he smokes and drinks, so he isn't exactly take care of his voice.

maybe vibrato is the wrong word. listen to the "ups and downs" in his voice as he sings Comfortably Numb.

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkO-lsrKzlE">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkO-lsrKzlE</a><!-- m -->
mark Wrote:
direwolf74 Wrote:

I don't hear it as much in Gord's voice as I do in Eddie's. I get that he is in his 50s now and he simply isn't going to sound like he used to. he smokes and drinks, so he isn't exactly take care of his voice.

maybe vibrato is the wrong word. listen to the "ups and downs" in his voice as he sings Comfortably Numb.

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkO-lsrKzlE">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkO-lsrKzlE</a><!-- m -->

Does he still smoke? I thought he quit.
The new single sure seems to have triggered the far-right Trump supporting nut jobs. The band's facebook page is currently littered with comments calling for boycotts of the their music, and that they've "lost another fan" because of this song, lol. Also noticed a few gun nuts attacking the band for supporting the Stoneman Douglas shooting survivors. Reminds me of the backlash the Drive-By Truckers received when their latest album American Band came out.

Of course Pearl Jam are no strangers to this. They faced similar backlash when they released "Bu$hleager" back in 2002, but this is on a whole other level. I really need to stop reading comments on social media. It just seems to bring out the absolute worst in people.
direwolf74 Wrote:Of course Pearl Jam are no strangers to this. They faced similar backlash when they released "Bu$hleager" back in 2002, but this is on a whole other level. I really need to stop reading comments on social media. It just seems to bring out the absolute worst in people.

This is the reason I still like message boards like this one when it comes to this type of stuff, rather than social media!
ryan93 Wrote:
direwolf74 Wrote:Of course Pearl Jam are no strangers to this. They faced similar backlash when they released "Bu$hleager" back in 2002, but this is on a whole other level. I really need to stop reading comments on social media. It just seems to bring out the absolute worst in people.

This is the reason I still like message boards like this one when it comes to this type of stuff, rather than social media!

The "Bu$hleaguer" controversy was just the worst, especially since it was such a terrible song. Like, get worked up over a good one, y'know? :p

The far right boycotts are the best. My favourite was still the Hamilton boycott after the cast politely asked Mike Pence not to deny them their rights - it broke Broadway's all-time weekly box office record.
I have no problems with my favourite bands (Pearl Jam being one of them) making political statements, although admittedly my views are almost always in alignment. I'd rather judge the work by its quality and this is where I have a problem with the song. It lacks any edge.

The higher, the farther, the faster you fly
You might be rich, but you can't deny me
Got nothin', got nothin' but the will to survive
You can't control and you can't deny me
Your lies are sick
They're sick and they're vile
You can't deny me

Try to talk down to me
My mind it ain't so simple
Where's your vocabulary?
Your ignorance is sinful
You plant your lying seeds
Watch as the roots take hold
The country you are now poisoning
Condition critical

Yes Trump is rich, he lies, he's simple, he's ignorant, he has the vocabulary of a 5th grader... Eddie making these observations doesn't exactly make for pithy and rebellious rock n' roll. It's conventional 2018 liberalism and it teeters on being boring. Now compare "Can't Deny Me" to the lyrics of "Bushleaguer":

I remember when you sang that song about today
Now it's tomorrow and everything has changed
A think tank of aloof multiplication
A nicotine wish and a Columbus decanter
Retrenchment and hoggishness
The aristocrat choir sings, "what's the ruckus?"
The haves have not a clue
The immenseness of suffering
And the odd negotiation, a rarity
With onionskin plausibility of life
And a keyboard reaffirmation

Much better, and much more cutting, the way I prefer my political song commentary. Overall, I think this new song would have a hard time cracking the Lost Dogs B-sides line-up. I like the chorus but the sound of the verses feels derivative of Soundgarden and does nothing for me. However, I'm not worried about the new album. I'm sure it'll have a minimum of 5-6 songs on it that I really enjoy.

I think its a great.

Let That Record Play!

Lighting Bolt is a terrible album; songs aren't that great (especially for PJ) and I can't stand the production. It's way too polished. Although, I do really like the title track. I saw them on that tour, and they were great, though, and I'm looking forward to the two Seattle shows in August!
Did someone say the album weakest link idea was borrowed from the pearl jam site? I’d be curious to see how that played out if anyone has a link
Eddie singing Jason Isbell's "Maybe It's Time" from the Star is Born soundtrack. Very cool.

[youtube]yQHyxpVuCDs[/youtube]