PunBB
Albums you've recently rediscovered - Printable Version

+- PunBB (https://punbb.in)
+-- Forum: General Discussion - Hipbase.com (https://punbb.in/Forum-General-Discussion-Hipbase-com)
+--- Forum: Non Tragically Hip Discussion (https://punbb.in/Forum-Non-Tragically-Hip-Discussion)
+--- Thread: Albums you've recently rediscovered (/Thread-Albums-you-ve-recently-rediscovered)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31

Albums you've recently rediscovered - direwolf74 - 01-14-2005

This week it's been:

Screaming Trees- Dust
One of the most underrated bands of the Seattle explosion. Grungy blues-inspired folk rock from a shaggy group of flannel wearing Pacific Northwest mountain men. It's easily their best record. Unfortunately, it was also their swan song. But what a swan song it is. Thank god Mark Lanegan is still making solo albums.

Buffalo Tom- Big Red Letter Day
Early 90s college-rock at it's finest. Intelligent, honest, extremely well written, and catchy as hell. One of the best break-up albums of all time.

- grooveless touque - 01-14-2005

Blues Traveler - Straight On Til Morning...pulled this out of a boxnot long ago and I can't believe I ever put it away. Hadn't listened to it in many months but I was listening to it all last weekend.

Hindu Love Gods - S/T...some bizarre out-of-the-blue blues experiment with Warren Zevon on vocals. One of my favourite oddball records, though the music itself is excellent...straight-up hard-charging covers of ancient blues tunes.

Neil Young - On the Beach...I lost this and thought I'd never find it again...it's an original ripped-from-vinyl copy I had to make because for decades he refused to release it on CD...I just found it while cleaning out a storage closet and WOW...it's like hearing Ambulance Blues for the first time again. Still sends a chill down my spine.

Great thread!

- joshwayy - 01-14-2005

Since discovering http://www.Led-Zeppelin.com I've been listening to all my old zep albums....good memories....almost got the jean jacket out. With a little undercover work I found a bittorrent site that has almost every Zep show ever recorded....I've been filling up hard drive space like crazy...

- Jenna_Bird - 01-14-2005

I've been listening to Tom Waits' Rain Dogs for the past week or so. Its such a brilliant album. Creepy and emotional and all around excellent. Its easily one of his best.

-Jenna

- NMAS - 01-14-2005

A few of my Skydiggers CD's.

- Douglas - 01-14-2005

Velevet Underground and Nico - Andy Warhol

I just got this disk back from my buddy after a couple of years. I forgot how great this album is. I've been singing Heroin all morning. Hope the boss doesn't hear me.

- The Horrible Esthete - 01-14-2005

Jenna_Bird Wrote:I've been listening to Tom Waits' Rain Dogs for the past week or so. Its such a brilliant album. Creepy and emotional and all around excellent. Its easily one of his best.

Agreed, agreed, and agreed. While I think the term 'musical genius' gets thrown around a bit too much, I feel that Waits is quite deserving the description.

Have you ever seen the Austin City Limits featuring Waits (recorded 12/5/1979)? It's quite theatrical, and a must-see for all his fans, as well as general music fans and poetry buffs alike! Click here to purchase a DVD....but I think there's only one left!!

I haven't, but it looks like its worth tracking down. There's a really obsecure video store a couple miles away...I might have to give them a call and see if they have it in stock. Thanks for the suggestion! :thumb:

-Jenna

You're welcome..you used to be able to purchase individual episodes of Austin City Limits directly from PBS (or from your local PBS station), but I went to their site and it didn't look like any ACL DVDs were available Cry

I guess a pic will have to do! :?

[Image: acl1019671679.jpg]
Nobody can make a cigarette look as delicious as Mr. Tom Waits can!

- direwolf74 - 01-14-2005

The Horrible Esthete Wrote:
Jenna_Bird Wrote:I've been listening to Tom Waits' Rain Dogs for the past week or so. Its such a brilliant album. Creepy and emotional and all around excellent. Its easily one of his best.

Agreed, agreed, and agreed. While I think the term 'musical genius' gets thrown around a bit too much, I feel that Waits is quite deserving the description.

Put me down as a Waits fan as well, and I couldn't agree more regarding Rain Dogs. So many good songs. 9th & Hennepin still gives me chills. Have you guys heard his new record? It's a freakin' masterpiece. I should also mention that one of my favorite live albums of all time is the 1975 gem Nighthawks at the Diner.

Yes, I've heard his newest, (Real Gone)and it is incredible. Saw him perform "Make it Rain" on David Letterman last October...raw & haunting....and simply phenomenal. I agree , Nighthawks at the Diner is a very good album, and I like Closing Time as well....if you haven't already, check out Mule Variations(1999)....soooo freaking good...

Asylum Years is a great import if you can find it. Its sort of a greatest hits, but without cheese.
Track Listing:

Diamonds on My Windshield
(Looking for) The Hear of Saturday Night
Martha
The Ghosts of Saturday Night
Grapefruit Moon
Small Change
Burma Shave
I Never Talk to Strangers (duet with Bette Midler)
Tom Traubert's Blues
Blue Valentines
Ptter's Field
Kentucky Avenue
Somewhere (yes the one from West Side Story)
Ruby's Arms

-Jenna

- robert goulet - 01-14-2005

I recently found my old Def Leopard Hysteria cassette...I don't know what was more amazing, stumbling across this old gem, or actually finding a machine that still plays cassettes.

And I threw on DOOKIE by Green Day the other day...now that's a classic. Lots of great memories in that one.

Goulet!!!

- Lizard King - 01-14-2005

...................................................................... :lol:

- Littleproud - 01-14-2005

Lizard King! Nice work on the "Big Trouble In Little China" avatar! Classic!

I have been listening to "Every Picture Tells A Story" By Rod Stewart lately. Man, Ron Wood owns this shit.