Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Ryan Adams
This album (and the bsides) seem as "personal" as anything I have listened to in a long time. Are you home, it will never be the same, empty bed ... given the context of his recent divorce some of these lyrics hit hard.

Ryan is one of a few artists that I will try to see every tour, and tomorrow night @ Massey Hall is no exception. Anyone else going? Excited to see that some of the B sides have made appearances in the setlists already.
Scotty12 Wrote:Ryan is one of a few artists that I will try to see every tour, and tomorrow night @ Massey Hall is no exception.

How was it? I was in TO for Father John Misty, kicked myself for not better planning to tack on the Ryan Adams show in my travels.
Lots of new Adams music on the way, including a shelved album that he recorded over a decade ago called "Blackhole". I love this guy!

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="https://consequenceofsound.net/2018/06/ryan-adams-teases-blackhole-new-album/">https://consequenceofsound.net/2018/06/ ... new-album/</a><!-- m -->

Quote:“I have 17 new songs,” he wrote. “I have 4 records on a shelf. Does anyone want to hear Prisoner 2 & 3, Black Hole? Live at Capitol Theater w @stringdusters, Exile on Main Street cover live & rehearsal?” He added, “I’m just asking to see if maybe I’m crazy & no one does.”

He isn’t crazy — most fans would salivate at the thought of hearing even just one of the aforementioned projects. Adams’ last full-length was 2017’s excellent Prisoner, so hearing a 17-track follow-up would be a treat. But so would alternate versions of or sequels to that album, which is what Prisoner 2 and Prisoner 3 might be referring to.

Quote:However, the holy grail of all unreleased Adams projects is perhaps Blackhole. Dating back more than 10 years, it’s reportedly the last album he recorded while still battling drugs. Adams has been teasing the long-lost LP for years; most recently, he considered finally releasing it for Record Store Day 2015. According to the rocker, there’s also two different versions of Blackhole that he’s been sitting on.
direwolf74 Wrote:Lots of new Adams music on the way, including a shelved album that he recorded over a decade ago called "Blackhole". I love this guy!

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="https://consequenceofsound.net/2018/06/ryan-adams-teases-blackhole-new-album/">https://consequenceofsound.net/2018/06/ ... new-album/</a><!-- m -->

Quote:“I have 17 new songs,” he wrote. “I have 4 records on a shelf. Does anyone want to hear Prisoner 2 & 3, Black Hole? Live at Capitol Theater w @stringdusters, Exile on Main Street cover live & rehearsal?” He added, “I’m just asking to see if maybe I’m crazy & no one does.”

He isn’t crazy — most fans would salivate at the thought of hearing even just one of the aforementioned projects. Adams’ last full-length was 2017’s excellent Prisoner, so hearing a 17-track follow-up would be a treat. But so would alternate versions of or sequels to that album, which is what Prisoner 2 and Prisoner 3 might be referring to.

Quote:However, the holy grail of all unreleased Adams projects is perhaps Blackhole. Dating back more than 10 years, it’s reportedly the last album he recorded while still battling drugs. Adams has been teasing the long-lost LP for years; most recently, he considered finally releasing it for Record Store Day 2015. According to the rocker, there’s also two different versions of Blackhole that he’s been sitting on.

Confusedhock: Confusedhock: Confusedhock: Confusedhock: Confusedhock:
:thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:
Hot damn!

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/ryan-adams-big-colors-three-2019-albums-776668/">https://www.rollingstone.com/music/musi ... ms-776668/</a><!-- m -->

Quote:Ryan Adams mapped out big plans for 2019 as the rocker announced he would release three albums this calendar year. The first of the trio, Big Colors, arrives April 19th. After hinting about his 2019 plans on social media, Adams offered up details about Big Colors to the Washington Post‘s daily Power Up political newsletter and confirmed “three (!) new albums” are on their way.

Adams, Beatriz Artola and Don Was produced the 15-song Big Colors, which was recorded at New York’s Electric Lady, Los Angeles’ Capitol Studios and Adams’ own PaxAm studio.

Quote:Politico writer Jake Sherman later tweeted that the second of Adams’ 2019 LPs would be titled Wednesdays, which Adams confirmed via retweet. The album’s cover borrows the layout of Bruce Springsteen’s Nebraska with its black borders and red block lettering.
direwolf74 Wrote:Hot damn!

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/ryan-adams-big-colors-three-2019-albums-776668/">https://www.rollingstone.com/music/musi ... ms-776668/</a><!-- m -->

Quote:Ryan Adams mapped out big plans for 2019 as the rocker announced he would release three albums this calendar year. The first of the trio, Big Colors, arrives April 19th. After hinting about his 2019 plans on social media, Adams offered up details about Big Colors to the Washington Post‘s daily Power Up political newsletter and confirmed “three (!) new albums” are on their way.

Adams, Beatriz Artola and Don Was produced the 15-song Big Colors, which was recorded at New York’s Electric Lady, Los Angeles’ Capitol Studios and Adams’ own PaxAm studio.

Quote:Politico writer Jake Sherman later tweeted that the second of Adams’ 2019 LPs would be titled Wednesdays, which Adams confirmed via retweet. The album’s cover borrows the layout of Bruce Springsteen’s Nebraska with its black borders and red block lettering.

YES SIRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!! I only started listening to Ryan after Prisoner came out. Stupid, I know. I then bought ALL of his back catalogue. A day rarely goes by that I don't listen to him. 3 NEW ALBUMS THIS YEAR!!!!! WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!
direwolf74 Wrote:Hot damn!

Great news! Even taking into account Adams inconsistency over his career, this means that we'll likely get at least 2 good Ryan Adams albums this year!
Ugh...I really hope these allegations aren't true. If they are, then obviously he's a piece of crap and should be held accountable for his actions. But man, it's incredibly disappointing when someone you greatly admire ends up being a scumbag. Pretty tough to separate the music from the person after hearing stuff like this.

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/ryan-adams-big-colors-album-pulled-sexual-misconduct-allegations-795211/?fbclid=IwAR3yL9-CLaQtzeqBFxe4euqD4QVWQ7SFyClS52a2bjJlIIOANzmjcLyqb2Q">https://www.rollingstone.com/music/musi ... zmjcLyqb2Q</a><!-- m -->

Quote:Ryan Adams’ upcoming album, Big Colors, has been “put on hold,” sources close to the situation told Variety on Thursday. The news follows Wednesday’s damning New York Times report that detailed several women’s allegations against Adams, which accuse him of sexual misconduct and emotional abuse.

On Thursday, retailers reported that they were informed that the album had been pulled from Universal Music Group’s schedule. A representative for Adams did not immediately return Rolling Stone‘s request for comment. Adams’ own Pax-Am label also deleted its corresponding pages for pre-orders related to the CD and LP.
Beyond Big Colors being put on hold (it was initially slated for release on April 19th), Adams had announced he would be releasing three albums this year. The status of the remaining albums is unclear.

In the wake of the allegations, Benson, an amplifier company, also announced it is severing its ties with the artist.

“We are saddened and surprised by the recent allegations against Mr. Ryan Adams as documented in the New York Times,” Christopher Benson said in a statement via Variety. “We have decided to suspend our relationship with Mr. Adams at this moment, and will no longer move forward with the development of the Ryan Adams signature model. We have no further comment at this time.”

In the New York Times report, several women, including Adams’ ex-wife Mandy Moore and emerging artist Phoebe Bridgers, claimed the singer-songwriter leveraged his position by turning his offers to help boost their careers into unwanted sexual advances. Another women, “Ava,” claims that she and the artist began an online dialogue when she was 14 years old, which included phone sex and Skype calls where Adams exposed himself. She and the singer exchanged more than 3000 text messages over the course of nine months.

“Mr. Adams unequivocally denies that he ever engaged in inappropriate online sexual communications with someone he knew was underage,” Adams’ lawyer told the Times, adding that “if, in fact, this woman was underage, Mr. Adams was unaware.”

On Thursday, the FBI opened an investigation into the alleged sexually explicit texts and messages sent to Ava when she was as young as 15.

Adams has maintained his innocence in statements via Twitter. “The picture that this article paints is upsettingly inaccurate,” he wrote. “Some of its details are misrepresented; some are exaggerated; some are outright false. I would never have inappropriate interactions with someone I thought was underage. Period.”
I know our love is wrong
I am a criminal
Mmm, I am a prisoner
2004-12-03 - Saint John/2005-09-03 - Moncton/2006-06-30 - Charlottetown/2006-11-09/10 - Montreal/2007-09-11 - Fredericton/2007-09-13 - Halifax/2007-09-14 - Sydney/2007-09-15 - Charlottetown/2008-06-30 - Charlottetown/2009-05-01/02 - Montreal/2011-06-28 - Moncton/2011-06-30 - Charlottetown/2012-06-30 - Niagara-on-the-Lake/2013-02-01 - Moncton/2013-02-02 - Halifax/2015-01-10 - Toronto/2015-02-20 - Montreal/2015-07-17 - Ottawa/2016-08-18 - Ottawa/2016-08-20 - Kingston
All three albums have been shelved for now.
2004-12-03 - Saint John/2005-09-03 - Moncton/2006-06-30 - Charlottetown/2006-11-09/10 - Montreal/2007-09-11 - Fredericton/2007-09-13 - Halifax/2007-09-14 - Sydney/2007-09-15 - Charlottetown/2008-06-30 - Charlottetown/2009-05-01/02 - Montreal/2011-06-28 - Moncton/2011-06-30 - Charlottetown/2012-06-30 - Niagara-on-the-Lake/2013-02-01 - Moncton/2013-02-02 - Halifax/2015-01-10 - Toronto/2015-02-20 - Montreal/2015-07-17 - Ottawa/2016-08-18 - Ottawa/2016-08-20 - Kingston
sean.bonner Wrote:All three albums have been shelved for now.

Safe to say his entire career has been shelved for now, pending the outcome of the FBI investigation.
direwolf74 Wrote:
sean.bonner Wrote:All three albums have been shelved for now.

Safe to say his entire career has been shelved for now, pending the outcome of the FBI investigation.

Yeah, very upsetting. All of his lyrics take on such a different connotation now. The song To Be Without You seems like the creepiest song of all time now.
Glad I never got into this trashbag.
daylight Wrote:Glad I never got into this trashbag.

I've been a fan of his music for a long time and I own just about everything he's ever released, mostly on CD and vinyl. Since this story broke, I've contemplated dropping them all off at Salvation Army or something. But at the same time I'm still debating whether or not I want to get rid of such a large collection that I've spent hard earned money on and invested a lot of time in. If these allegations are true, and it sounds like they are, I certainly won't be listening to any of his records again...at least until he somehow makes amends and proves that he can become a better person.

For now I've simply removed them from my shelf and put them away in a drawer. I just don't want to look at them.