Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Introducing . . . In View
So here is my attempt at the lyrics, please make the appropriate corrections. Corrections will be in bold.

I love you
You know I do
Yeah, it's perfect (?)
Well it isn't and it is

I've been meanin' to call you
And I do (?)

And I do

Phone rings once
Phone rings twice
Phone rings three times

I am of you
And you are in everything I do

I do

I trust you
And that makes you true
I don't care if
It isn't the way it is

And I do

Phone rings once
Phone rings twice
Phone rings three times

I am of you
And you are always in view
I am all well

I do
I do
I do

Day erases dark of night
Excited states gone in clean sight (?)
I'm gonna wave a valkyrie light (?)
I lose, things change but never in your eyes (?)

I am of you
And you are always in view
I am all well

I'm thinking "and i do" might be "then i do"

I'm digging the new sound. I think it will be much more accessible than past singles. The synth/keyboard kinda threw me off, we'll see how that plays out with the rest of the album. I wonder what kind of live track this will be.
:thumb: :thumb: Two thumbs way way up!!! Flat out blew me away! Yes, it is really produced...ear candy for sure, but who cares? It's 2006 and IMO these guys needed to make this kind stuff! The guitars simply shine. Gords melody is much more focused than anything on the last few albums. The harmonies are great (let Paul and Gord S sing more!)

This sort of sound is a risk for the Hip and my hat is off to them for trying something very different from what we are used to. Can't wait for the rest of the album. The guys should be beaming with smiles. Great song!
Great work on the lyrics. Sounds pretty accurate to me.

I'm on my 15th listen now....took a few but it's cool. I like that it's different. I think it'll get a lot of radio play because of it's sound. Way better of a first single than Good Life.

Will this song remain up for a while or is just the song of the day?
I'm with ya Sundin. Change is really a good thing at this point with these guys! Keep the music fresh, interesting and fun. As for the Keyboard part...I believe Baker will simply play the licks on guitar. That catchy melody stuff is all guitar too. This song will no doubt Rock in concert... I think this tune will sound simply awesome squeezed between Nautical and Wheat Kings!
dreyfuss Wrote:I do like the song, but I'm not sure about one of the keyboard "sounds" the actual melody played on the keyboard I like, and the "killers" sounding keyboard is fine too, but I'm just not sure about the poppy 80's sounding keyboard, makes me think of the Culture Club, and I was never a fan of CC.

The 80s are dead and they should damn well stay that way.

This song isn't actually much of a departure for the Hip. Replace that keyboard with guitars and it sounds like pretty much standard Hip fare. So they've taken a Hip song and made it sound like a leftover from music's most tasteless decade ... I would have preferred a real departure.

With IVL, IBE and now this, the Hip are starting to come off as a band struggling to find a sound that works for them. I think IBE worked for them. This, not so much.
I hope it does stay up for a while. At least the weekend. Come on now.

I like the song.
What does it clock in at? I'm @work and dieing to hear it!!
I will not give up. My face is set,my gait is fast,my goal is heaven,my road is narrow,my way is rough,my companions are few,my guide is reliable,my mission is clear. I cannot be bought,compromised,detoured,lured away,turned back,diluted or delayed. I will not flinch in the face of sacrifice,hesitate in the presence of adversity,negotiate at the table of the enemy,ponder at the pool of popularity,or meander in the maze of mediocrity. I will not give up,shut up or slow down....Blessed Be!
Summiteer Wrote:What does it clock in at? I'm @work and dieing to hear it!!

4.00 even.

It's now up at http://www.myspace.com/thetragicallyhip as well.

MAv.
skippy the wonder dog Wrote:
dreyfuss Wrote:I do like the song, but I'm not sure about one of the keyboard "sounds" the actual melody played on the keyboard I like, and the "killers" sounding keyboard is fine too, but I'm just not sure about the poppy 80's sounding keyboard, makes me think of the Culture Club, and I was never a fan of CC.

The 80s are dead and they should damn well stay that way.

This song isn't actually much of a departure for the Hip. Replace that keyboard with guitars and it sounds like pretty much standard Hip fare. So they've taken a Hip song and made it sound like a leftover from music's most tasteless decade ... I would have preferred a real departure.

With IVL, IBE and now this, the Hip are starting to come off as a band struggling to find a sound that works for them. I think IBE worked for them. This, not so much.

A decade that also included U2, The Police, The Clash, The Smiths, and a host of other bands that are pretty good in my estimation. Sure there was a load of crap, but every decade has them.
Yes, the 80's had some cool music for sure but............Don't bring the mullets back!
<3.
The change in sound is the natural pregression of musicians. I'd be very dissapointed if the new album was just another IBE. As far as Bob Rock goes, its too early to tell what effect or amount of influence he had on World Container. From the new songs we've heard this summer, the live sound is still full of the regular intensity and groove as before, my only wonder now is what those same songs will sound like from the studio.
Man-Sized Eldorado Wrote:
Cpt. Trips Wrote:Dire Wolf is way cooler.

I thought that myself. I keep getting to Dire Wolf in the playlist and can't get off of it!

I loved that album too. When your old stuff is so good, it's hard to top it. I thought nothing could be better than PP or DFN, then IVL comes out. Some of my best memories are set to IVL.

New stuff... HMM sounds to me about like IBE. I hope they didn't break their string of besting themselves every two albums or so!!
i dunno, this grows on me more and more everytime i hear it.

edit: after about 15 listens ..... love it. :thumb: :jump
I am so relieved that this sounds like no Hip I've ever heard before. Even though I loved IBE, I was afraid they were going to take the "going back to their roots" thing too seriously. Coupling this with the rest of the songs that I've heard of the new record, this is going to be great. I mean, I kind of groaned at the first 30 seconds because it caught me off guard, but it grew on me after the first chorus. First song that made me smile in a while, and not just because it's a new Hip song.